Corporate and financial data
|Topic||Region and Database|
|Stocks||World: Compustat Global (WRDS), Refinitiv Workspace, Bloomberg
USA: Compustat North America (WRDS), CRSP (WRDS)
|Bonds and loans||World: Refinitiv Workspace, Bloomberg
USA: CRSP (WRDS)
|Derivatives||World: Refinitiv Workspace, Bloomberg|
|Analyst forcasts||World: I/B/E/S (Refinitiv Workspace), Bloomberg|
|Accounting||World: Compustat Global (WRDS), Refinitiv Workspace, Bloomberg
USA: Compustat North America (WRDS)
|Mergers & Acquisitions||World: Refinitiv Workspace|
|Ownership||World: Refinitiv Workspace|
|Market data and industry reports||World: Business Source Complete (Company Profiles); Factiva, wiso (Corporate data), Nexis
|Company profiles||World: Business Source Complete (Industry Profiles, Market Research Reports), ABI Inform: Trade & Industry; Factiva, wiso (Market data), Nexis
|Executive management||World: wiso (Personal data), Nexis
|ESG, governance, sustainability||World: Refinitiv Workspace|
Please see below for detailed information on content, access rights, and tips for the databases.
Audit Analytics (IVES)
Content: Audit Analytics provides detailed research on over 150,000 active audits at 1.200 auditing firms and more than 15,000 listed companies.
The licensed Audit + Compliance module covers all SEC registrants, tracking auditors, auditor changes, audit fees, director & officer changes, financial restatements, etc. Data are updated quarterly.
Access: via WRDS. Also available directly via AuditAnalytics. Details upon request(sabine.rauchmann"AT"uni-hamburg.de?subject=Passwort für AuditAnalytics.com).
Tips and documentation:
Bloomberg Terminal (Bloomberg)
Bloomberg brings together real-time data on every market, news from around the globe, analyst-driven research, and powerful analytics. Locate current and historical data on more than 5 million commodities, currencies, bonds, equities, and funds. View company profiles, financial statements, trade and economic data, analysts’ forecasts, mergers & acquisitions, and supply chain data.
The UHH holds an academic subscription to this resource. Access is only available to the current UHH community. The terminal can only be used for Bloomberg purposes. No remote access is available. You can only access this resource at the designated terminal station at the Professur für VWL, insb. Makroökonomik und Fiskalpolitik. Please contact Marlene Renkel to arrange a time for the use of the terminal.
Tips and documentation
Compustat provides balance sheet and market data in a standardized form for both active and nonactive listed companies. The database includes general company information (location, name, industry, S&P rating, and CEO), balance sheet information, income statements, cash flow statements, financial figures, market data (stock prices and dividends), and market indexes, segment reporting (North America only), exchange rate time series for more than 110 currencies, and macro data. The following modules are currently available:
- Compustat North America includes a maximum of 20 years of annual and monthly data and up to 48 quarterly reports for more than 30,000 American and Canadian companies (active and inactive). Annual, quarterly, and monthly data is available back to 1979. It also includes the last seven years for segments and daily market data back to 1984.
- Compustat Historical complements Compustat North America and contains historical data for American and Canadian companies, back to 1950 on an annual level, and back to 1962 on a daily, monthly, and quarterly level.
- Compustat Global contains fundamental and market data for about 18,000 publicly listed companies from 80 countries and therefore covers about 90 percent of the global market capitalization. Specifically, the database contains detailed balance sheet information, cash flow statements, income statements, financial figures, stock prices, dividends, information on market capitalization, a range of macro data, index time series for over 90 local market indexes, and additional data fields for the time period back to 1993—however, for a maximum of 20 years retroactively. In total, the database offers access to over 440 data fields.
Tips and documentation
- Compustat manuals and overviews (WRDS > Support) incl. data guide and item list
- Introduction to Compustat North America (WRDS) (PDF) (Kenneth In Kyun Ernst Jørgensen, Aarhus University, August 2008)
If Compustat Data is used, S&P must be cited as a source and the following disclaimer notice must be included:
"Copyright © 201X, S&P Capital IQ (and its affiliates, as applicable). Reproduction of [NAME OF SERVICES] in any form is prohibited except with the prior written permission of S&P Capital IQ (“S&P”). None of S&P, its affiliates or their suppliers guarantee the accuracy, adequacy, completeness or availability of any information and is not responsible for any errors or omissions, regardless of the cause or for the results obtained from the sue of such information. In no event shall S&P, its affiliates of any of their suppliers be liable for any damages, costs, expenses, legal fees, or losses (including lost income or lost profit and opportunity costs) in connection with any use of S&P information."
(X = aktuelle Jahreszahl)
CRSP (University of Chicago Booth School of Business)
The CRSP (Center for Research in Security Prices) maintains the largest collection of capital market time series for the NYSE, AMEX, and NASDAQ.
- CRSP US Stock Database for 1925 contains current market and corporate action data for securities listed on the NYSE (since December 1925), AMEX (since 1962), and NASDAQ (since 1972). The database also contains the following:
- descriptive, historical information and market data (such as price, volume, yield, distribution, and name history data)
- end-of-day and month-end data
- CRSP Index History Files (CRSP Index History Files—Intraday) (IHF) contain the history of real-time data in the course of the day on investable indexes.
- CRSP10 holds 10 years of monthly history for active and inactive securities.
Tips and documentation
- Data Descriptions Guide: CRSP US Stock & US Index Databases (PDF) (CRSP)
- CRSP US Stock Databases—Documentation and Knowledge Base (PDF) (CRSP)
- CRSP Indexes Quick Reference Guide (CRSP)
- CRSP Manuals and Overviews (WRDS > Support) (WRDS)
- Introduction to CRSP (WRDS) (PDF) (Kenneth In Kyun Jørgensen, August 2008)
- If the data is to be used in a publication for which the authors receive compensation or payment, permission must be obtained from CRSP.
- All materials containing data from CRSP must include the following notice: “Calculated (or Derived) based on data from database name © XXXX Center for Research in Security Prices (CRSP®), The University of Chicago Booth School of Business.” (XXXX = year the database was published).
Dafne (Bureau van Dijk)
Dafne offers current and historical financial information on approximately 800,000 German and Austrian companies. Both individual and consolidated financial statements are available as provided by the companies. The International Accounting Standards (IAS), International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (United States, US GAAP) as well as standards from the German commercial code (Handelsgesetzbuch, HGB) are included in detailed form.
via Datenbank-Infosystem DBIS in your web browser
Tips and documentation
Refinitiv Workspace (Refinitiv) (ehem. Eikon)
Data from Refinitiv (former Thomson Reuters) are a source used in numerous academic publications.
Refinitiv's Workspace for Students (formerly Eikon) covers major financial markets – equity, fixed income, commodities, foreign exchange, hedge funds und international market indices. It includes market data, charts, time series analysis and streaming news by Reuters and other financial institutions as well market research companies regarding stock price analysis, and global equity indices. In addition, Refinitiv Workspace brings togehter macroeconomic indicators from various institutions (EIU, IMF, OECD, etc.).
The Datastream Add-in for Excel includes charting and reporting tools for data analysis and editing and allows for downloading of comprehensive time series.
Register with your UHH email adress for a personalised account. Please send us an email(bib-datenbanken.wiso"AT"uni-hamburg.de?subject=Neues Konto Refinitiv: Workspace for Students) and include the following information:
- faculty and department (BWL, WISO VWL, WISO SozÖk)
- status (bachelor / master / doctoral student, (research) staff, etc.
- reason for use ( seminar / bachelor / master / doctoral thesis, research project)
- writing period (the login will be valid for 3 months and can be renewed upon request).
Use your login and password to access:
- Refinitiv Workspace Client, including Excel Add-In
- UHH staff members may install the client (incl. Excel Add-Ins) on their UHH computer by using the RRZ Serviceportal.
- UHH students use the download link for the client software provided in the welcome email.
- Workspace Web.
- For the Datastream Add On, there is a 10 million data points download limit per month. You can monitor your usage.
- Since May 1, 2023, there are new limits in Refinitiv Workspace's Deal Screener (PCN205894):
- Export to Excel as formulas or values limited to 1,000 deals per 24 hour period
- Maximum download is 200 per each event as formulas or values.
- MacOS users, please be aware of limitations with regard to the Excel Add-In
- If you are trying to install this Add-In for Excel Desktop, you must have an Office 365 subscription, as well as be on either version 2002 or later for Windows or version 16.30 or later for Mac. This add-in is not supported on Office 2016, Office 2019 Pro Plus, or versions of Office 365 before 2002 on Windows or 16.30 on Mac. Installing this will show an “Add-in is no longer supported” error. (The Office Store Add-Ins are not allowed on RRZ notebooks).
- All recent MAC desktops use now Intel processors, and thus allow to install a dual boot on such machine. In that case, booting on Windows is not a virtual but a real windows environment. As soon as you respect the PC Requirements for Refinitiv Eikon, this is a fully supported environment.
Please contact Sabine Rauchmann(sabine.rauchmann"AT"uni-hamburg.de?subject=Question for Refinitiv: Workspace for Students) for any questions relating to searching data in Refinitiv Workspace and Datastream.
Tips, documentation, training
- Refinitiv Workspace for Students: System Requirements (PDF)
- Refinitiv Workspace for Students: Basic Installation Guide (PDF)
- Refinitiv Workspace for Students: Office 365 Add-In FAQ (PDF)
- Refinitiv Workspace for Students / Datastream Add on: Monitoring Data Usage (Number of Data Points) (PDF)
- Refinitiv Learning Centre (videos, classes, documents)
- Refinitiv Workspace for Students (Video)
- Eikon (Apps for market segments; instructions are valid for Workspace as well) (Video)
- Refinitiv Academy
- Refinitiv Workspace Certificate
- Twitch Stream (every Tuesday, 5 p.m., for Python API), recordings available on YouTube
- Start working with Refinitiv Workspace
- Refinitiv Workspace for Students: Quick Start Guide (PDF)
- Relevant Apps in Workspace for searching
- SRCH (Search Tools)
- SCREENER (select the correct "Universe"!)
- OV (Overview)
- DIB (Data Item Browser; what is available)
- Relevant Apps in Workspace for ESG data
- SUSFIN (Sustainable Finance; includes Apps & Views plus Document Hub (with methodology documents))
- ESG (for companies and equities)
- Relevant information for using Refinitiv Workspace Excel
- Build Formular
- 1. Select instrument(s), 2. Select Data Item, 3. Edit Parameter (i.e.. Series), 4. Edit Layout
- Compare fiscal years using "Financial Period Absolute"
- Get a list of companies which are part of an index using "0#." (i.e. 0x.GDAXI for DAX constituents)
- Build Formular
- Relevant information for using API
- Relevant Apps in Workspace:
CODEBOOK (download data via API in Workspace)
CODECREATOR (get the correct expression for Python programming)
- Refinitiv Developer Community for Eikon Data API, includes Quickstart, Tutorials, Q&A Forum, Use Cases
- Relevant Apps in Workspace:
- MyRefinitiv: Data Notifications (changes, news, delays) (PDF)
SDC Platinum Mergers & Acquisitions (Refinitiv)
SDC Platinum Mergers & Acquisitions is a collection of global financial transaction databases from Thomson Reuters which includes Mergers & Acquisition, New Issues, Joint Ventures, Poison Pills, Project Finance and Syndicated Loans.:
- SDC ALL MERGER AND ACQUISITION / 900,000+ domestic and international transactions from 1979+
- SDC ALL NEW ISSUES / International coverage on new public offerings. Coverage from 1970+ and varies
- SDC JOINT VENTURES / VentureXpert - Official Database of the National Venture Capital Association with coverage from 1969+
- SDC POISON PILLS / Corporate Governance
- SDC PROJECT FINANCE / Global Public Finance - International coverage of new municipal issues and project finance.
- SDC SYNDICATED LOANS
Via SDC Platinum desktop software. Information about installation, username and password is provided upon request(sabine.rauchmann"AT"uni-hamburg.de?subject=Passwort für SDC Platinum M&A).
Tips and documentation
- Data definitions, glossary
- Data Definitions for M&A (Refinitiv)
- Data Definitions for New Issues (Refinitiv)
- VenturExpert Data Glossary (Refinitiv)
- Training materials
- SDC Platinum – Set up guide (PDF) (Refinitiv)
- SDC Platinum - Quick start guide (PDF) (Refinitiv)
- Getting Started with SDC Platinum Video Training (Refinitiv)
- SDC Platinum - Related Resources (HBS)
- Error messages
- "invalid user initials": Sometimes the user account becomes corrupt. This is due to a problem with the packaging of the software for our IT setup. Follow the steps below to add the user account again:
- Close SDC Platinum und open SDC Tools.
- On the icon menu, click the "Users" icon. The "Select a user" window appears.
- Click on the "Add" button. The new "User information" window appears. Complete the required fields:
- Initials: KL
- First Name: Kerstin
- Last Name: Lopatta
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click the "OK" button.
- Close SDC Tools and open SDC Platinum.
WRDS (Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania)
Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS) of the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania is a web-based research platform with one location to access over 250 terabytes of data across multiple disciplines including Accounting, Banking, Economics, Finance, ESG, and Statistics. All search results can be exported in a standard format.
In addition to free data sets currently in WRDS (e.g., Dow Jones, IRI, TRACE, Bank Regulatory, FDIC, and Reserve Bank Reports), the following licensed databases are also available:
- Compustat North America (S&P)
- Compustat Global (S&P)
- Compustat Historical (S&P)
- CRSP US Stock Database for 1925
- CRSP Intra-day Index History Files
- Factset Ownerhship
To use WRDS, you must register for a WRDS account (in the top right-hand corner of the page):
- When you register, select the appropriate user type:
Faculty Professors and junior professors Research Assistant Student employees/assistants PhD Student Research associates and doctoral students Masters / Undergrad Student Master students, Bachelor students Visiting Faculty Guest lecturers at UHH
- Professors, employees, guest lecturers, and doctoral students can request a personal account and use WRDS via the Internet, SSH, or PC-SAS Connect.
- Master's and bachelor's degree students can request a personal account that allows for access to WRDS via the Internet.
- Lecturers can request an account for their seminar (a password for the course, max. of 15 users at one time, valid for one semester). This also allows access to WRDS via the Internet.
- In the field "department", please enter the faculty and department (BWL, WISO VWL, WISO SozÖk), the reason for your use (seminar / bachelor / master / doctoral thesis) and, if available, the professor.
- If you already have a WRDS account through another institution, please fill out the “Account Transfer” form or contact us.
After you submit the form, we will activate your account. You will then be able to use your log-in details to access WRDS from anywhere in the world, always logging in to WRDS using Two-Factor-Authentication (2FA).
Tips and documentation
- User agrees to place the following acknowledgement in all publications or other communications prepared using the WRDS services: "Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS) was used in preparing ___________ [identify research piece]. This service and the data available thereon constitute valuable intellectual property and trade secrets of WRDS and/or its third-party suppliers."