Frequently Asked Questions
If you cannot find your question here, you may find the Campus-Center Forum helpful.
General questions about the program
When does the program start?
The program starts in the winter semester; i.e. October. There is only one intake per year. The application period runs from 15 February to 31 March.
How many study places are avaliable in MIBAS?
Can I switch from another Master's Program to MIBAS?
If you consider switching from another master’s program to MIBAS, you’d have to follow the regular application process. Your application will be evaluated based on the defined standard criteria. Your current master’s studies will not be considered within the admission process.
Once you have been admitted to the program and once you are enrolled as a student at the university, you may apply for recognition of external achievements.
Is part-time study possible?
Yes, you can study this master’s degree part-time. Detailed information about prerequisites, deadlines, the application procedure, and any exceptions is available on the university's Campus Centers website. Part-time degrees however, are not designed as evening and/or weekend programs. Our classes normally take place during the week between 8 am and 8 pm.
It is not necessary to announce that you would like to become a part-time student within the application.
Do I need to prove German language proficiency?
You don't need to prove German language skills within the application, since MIBAS is taught in English. All applicants have to prove English language proficency with one of the accepted certificates.
Which certificates for English language skills are accepted?
The following tests are accepted as proof of your English language skills:
- Revised TOEFL Paper-delivered Test: at least 22 points per skill (Reading, Listening, Writing)
- TOEFL internet-based test (test based scores): 92 points with at least 22 points per skill (listening, writing, speaking, reading)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) – Academic: Overall Band Score at least 6,5, (Good Competent User), with at least 6,0 per skill
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE)
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
- Cambridge Higher Business English Certificate (BEC)
The test may not be more than 2 years old at the time of application.
Applicants, who haven't received their test results when applying, can hand in one of the accepted English language certificates when enrolling at Universität Hamburg. Please plan and prepare for your English examinations well before you apply.
I have not studied a Bachelor in Business Administration. Can I apply nevertheless?
Yes, it is possible to apply if you did not study Business Administration in your Bachelor's.
Applicants from all backgrounds must, at the time of application, have achieved examination results amounting to
- at least 15 ECTS from four of the following areas: introductory course in business administration, accounting, financing, investment, marketing, management, controlling, HR, organization, information systems, production, taxation and
- at least 12 ECTS in research methods (quantitative methods and/or qualitative methods).
You will be asked to indicate the relevant courses during the online application procedure. A confirmation of enrolment to or participation in a course does not meet the requirements. The course has to be finalized with an examination and a grade / credits.
How can I prove the required knowledge in business administration and in research methods?
Applicants must, at the time of the application, have achieved examination results amounting to
- at least 15 ECTS altogether from at least 4 of the following areas: business administration at an undergraduate level, accounting, financing, investment, marketing, management, controlling, HR, organization, information systems, production, taxation and
- at least 12 ECTS in research methods (quantitative methods and/or qualitative methods).
To prove these requirements, please note the following:
- The relevant knowledge needs to be achieved on academic level, i.e. by proving credits from university programs (e.g. during your bachelor's studies, exchange semester, etc.).
- If the course content is not clear from the course title in the transcript of record, you may add a course description to your application documents as well.
- We cannot give you feedback on courses regarding their eligibility. The selection committee will assess all applications after the application deadline.
- Professional experience cannot be considered for fulfilling these requirements.
Is a GMAT / GRE / TM-WISO required for the application?
No, the GMAT, the GRE or the TM-WISO are not required for your application. The selection of candidates is made based on the grade achieved in your first degree and a written justification for the chosen program.
Could you check my documents in advance and give feedback on my eligibilty?
Unfortunately, we cannot provide any information about individual eligibility in advance. The selection committee will assess all applications after the application deadline.
STiNE / Online application form
What is STiNE?
STiNE is Universität Hamburg’s academic information network and is an internet-based information and communication platform for degree programs and teaching. Application procedures at Universität Hamburg are processed through STiNE. Hence, in order for your application to be successful, you must register with STiNE.
Who can I ask for help if I do not understand a particular question in the online application?
If you do not understand a question in the online application, please contact the Campus Center.
What can I do if I have technical problems with the online application form?
If you have technical problems with the online application form, please contact the STiNE support.
I have not yet completed my bachelor's degree. Can I apply nevertheless?
If you have recently completed your first degree but do not yet have your degree certificates, or if you have not yet completed your first degree, you may apply to MIBAS nevertheless.
To do so, you have to submit a current transcript of records containing your current grade point average as well as a written confirmation from the examinations office / academic office at your institution that you are expected to have sat any outstanding examinations required for you to pass your degree prior to commencement of the master’s program.
It is possible to submit your degree certificates at the latest by the end of the first semester (i.e. March 31).
Are there any recommendations for the written justification?
We prepared questions you should answer to tell us your motivation to study MIBAS. Please use the designated template and fill it electronically on your device. Please do not handwrite, write in English and do not exceed three pages.
The questions for the written justification serve to establish comparability between applicants for evaluation by the selection committee.
To fill the template, we recommend you to first save the PDF file to your device before filling it.
After saving the PDF file to your computer, you may open it with Adobe Reader (or any equivalent software; we recommend to use the latest version of the Adobe Reader), fill the form and save it again as PDF.
If you experience serious problems saving your text in the form, you may also copy your answers to the questions to another text-processing program.
Are there any recommendations for the file format of the application documents?
Yes, in order to ensure that your documents can be displayed correctly, please take the following recommendations into account when uploading your application documents into the online portal:
- Please merge documents with several pages (e.g. your degree certificates) to one file.
- Documents have to be submitted in German or English. Please submit certified translations if original documents are not issued in German or English.
- Please upload preferably PDF documents.
- Only one file can be uploaded per upload category.
- In case of technical problems, please contact: email@example.com.
Application and admission process
Could you confirm that my application is complete?
As our capacities are restricted during the application period, we are not able to confirm the receipt or the completeness of your application documents.
Can I submit my application after the application deadline?
No. Applications for MIBAS have to be submitted to Universität Hamburg between 15 February and 31 March. We do not accept applications after this deadline.
When will I be informed about the admission results?
Admission results will be published around mid-May. You can find the exact date in the online application portal.
Letters of rejection / admission will be made available to you in your STiNE account under the menu item “Documents” together with the enrollment application. Please check your account on the date provided by the Service for Students.
Once you have been admitted, you will need to enroll until the deadline mentioned in the letter of admission.
If you miss this deadline, you will no longer be entitled to the place you have been offered!
Is there a minimum GPA required?
There is no minimum GPA required. For the selection of candidates, your GPA is one criteria and counts for 60%. Your personal motivation is weighted with 40% (please refer to the information about the selection procedure).
In the past years, we received more than 900 applications for 60 study places available. This means that only applicants with above average grades in both criteria had chances for admission in the selection procedure.
How are the chances for admission?
In 2022, we received more than 700 applications for 75 study places available. Since WS 21/22, the number of study places has been increased to 75. This means that only applicants with above average grades in both selection criteria had chances for admission in the selection procedure.