When enrolling at our University, all prospective students must submit proof of adequate English proficiency.
The following tests are accepted as proof of your English language skills:
- a Bachelor degree (or equivalent) in a college or university program taught in English
- TOEFL paper and pencil test: 580 points with a score of 45 in the essay (TWE score)
- TOEFL internet-based test: 92 points with at least 22 points per skill (listening, writing, speaking, reading)
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE): Results A, B, C
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) – Academics: Band 6,5, Good Competent User, with at least 6,0 per skill
- proof of at least five subsequent years of English lessons at a German school (please hand in a copy of your Abitur-Zeugnis), or
- proof of English proficiency with the Level B2 (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) from a recognized institution
The TOEIC is not accepted!
Applicants, who haven´t received their test results when applying, can hand in one of the accepted English language certificates when enrolling at Universität Hamburg (approximately in May). In the online application procedure you will find the dates when the results will be published. You will need to enroll once you have been admitted until the mentioned deadline.
Please plan and prepare for your English examinations well before you apply!