We accept applications between 15 February and 31 March each year (program start in October). The deadline for applying for the recognition of your foreign degree is 15 March.
If you submit an application for recognition of your Bachelor degree to apply for the Master program "Innovation, Business and Sustainability", it is possible that you will not receive the result by the end of the application period on 31 March. If the result cannot be made available to you in time for upload in the online application, your result will be forwarded directly to the department of socioeconomics and taken into account in the application process.
Below you can find information about the admission requirements, the application process and the selection procedure for the Master of Science Innovation, Business and Sustainability. Please make sure to read all information carefully before you start the application process. Please also check our FAQ section.
Online info session about MIBAS admissions on March 01, 2023 at 10:00 am – 11:30 am (CET) via Zoom
We will explain the application and selection process of the MIBAS program and go into detail about the most asked questions (e.g. what study programs are eligible, how can I prove the required knowledge in business administration and research methods, what about the recognition of foreign education, etc.). Moreover, you will have the opportunity to ask further questions and receive advice.
Please note that we may not have time to discuss individual situations. Our aim is to provide a better understanding of the admission process and provide you with the required resources to prepare your application.
If you would like to join this event, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will then add you to our participants list and send you the respective zoom link shortly before the event starts.
Check the admission requirements
One admission requirement is a first university degree in socioeconomics or an equivalent degree in social sciences, economics and business administration or law. Graduates from other degrees can be admitted.
Applicants must, at the time of the application, have achieved examination results amounting to
- at least 15 ECTS altogether from at least 4 of the following areas: business administration at an undergraduate level, accounting, financing, investment, marketing, management, controlling, HR, organization, information systems, production, taxation and
- at least 12 ECTS in research methods (quantitative methods and/or qualitative methods).
You will be asked to indicate the relevant courses during the online application procedure.
Students who have not yet received their bachelor's certificate can apply for a master's program at Universität Hamburg. Please hand in a confirmation from the examination office / the academic office, which states that you are able to finish your studies until the beginning of the master's program. However, final formal admission will only be granted, if the certificate is submitted by the end of the first semester (31 March). As long as the certificate remains outstanding, students will only be enrolled provisionally.
The following tests are accepted as proof of your English language skills:
- Revised TOEFL Paper-delivered Test: at least 22 points per skill (Reading, Listening, Writing)
- TOEFL internet-based test (test date scores): 92 points with at least 22 points per skill (Listening, Writing, Speaking, Reading)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) – Academic: Overall Band Score at least 6,5, (Good Competent User), with at least 6,0 per skill
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE)
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
- Cambridge Higher Business English Certificate (BEC)
The test may not be more than 2 years old at the time of application.
Applicants who are unable to provide the required proof of English language proficiency by the application deadline, will continue to be considered in the application process, if the application is accompanied by the registration for one of the above-mentioned tests. The proof of English language competence must be submitted immediately, but by 31 May at the latest.
Please plan and prepare well for your English examinations before you apply.
Pending the approval of the relevant bylaws through the WiSo Faculty Council and the UHH Executive University Board, the above mentioned rules for proof of English language skills will become effective for all applicants.
You do not need to prove German proficiency.
Collect your application documents
During the application process, you will be asked to upload the following documents in the online application form:
- Scan of the first degree certificate (if not yet available, a current transcript of records suffices)
- Transcript of records / official overview of grades including grade point average
- Proof of background knowledge in business administration and research methods: e.g. your transcript proving at least 15 ECTS credits in business administration and 12 ECTS credits in research methods
- For applicants holding a degree from a university outside of Germany: recognition of your foreign educational qualification
- Written justification of your choice of degree
- Proof of English language skills
- Curriculum Vitae (CV), in English
Please note the following recommendations for the document upload. This helps us processing your application.
- Please merge documents with several pages (e.g. your degree certificates) to one file.
- Documents have to be submitted in German or English. Please submit your original documents plus certified translations if original documents are not issued in German or English.
- Please upload preferably PDF documents. Thus, it is ensured that your documents can be opened and displayed correctly.
- Only one file can be uploaded per upload category in the online application form.
- In case of technical problems regarding the documents, please contact: mibas-application.wiso"AT"uni-hamburg.de
Have your degree from outside Germany recognised
Applicants with a first university degree from outside of Germany need to have their foreign education certificates recognized in order to apply to MIBAS at Universität Hamburg. Before applying to MIBAS, you need to apply for the recognition of your degree.
Step 1: Have your foreign education certificates recognized
- Deadline for submitting application: 15 March
- Detailed information are provided by the the university's Application and Admissions Team.
- All questions about the application for recognition should be directed to the university’s Application and Admissions Team.
- Submit your application for recognition via the university's application portal STiNE.
- Get your evaluation result.
Step 2: Apply for MIBAS
- Your application for recognition (Step 1) does not replace the application for MIBAS.
- Application period for MIBAS: 15 February – 31 March
- Please upload all relevant application documents, including the evaluation results.
Tell us your motivation to study MIBAS
Please hand in a written justification of your choice of degree. This will be part of the selection process. We expect you to justify your choice of program on the basis of the points listed:
- What is your personal motivation for applying for the "Master of Science Innovation, Business and Sustainability" (MIBAS) at Universität Hamburg?
- Which experiences – as part of your first degree and your job experience – contribute to your qualifications for the MIBAS program?
- Which program components have triggered your specific interest in MIBAS, which aspects of the program are most appealing to you?
- Reflecting on the MIBAS program, to what extent and why do you think that firms have a responsibility to the society and not to their shareholders only? Which aspects are of particular relevance and why?
Please use the designated template (PDF) for your answers. Please save the PDF file to your PC before filling it.
Your answers (in English language) should not exceed three pages. Please comment on all mentioned points to allow us to form a detailed impression of you.
Applications have to be submitted online during the application period (February 15 until March 31). To apply for the program, please follow the instructions in the STiNE online application form provided by the admissions office of Universität Hamburg.
- All application documents have to be uploaded in the last section of the online application form.
- Any information or documents submitted after March 31 cannot be considered.
- Please do not send any hard copies to Universität Hamburg. They will not be considered for your application.
Wait for the admission results
For the purpose of the selection procedure, applicants are divided into two groups:
- ‘Domestic students’ (‘Bildungsinländer’) are applicants without German citizenship who have obtained their higher education entrance qualification (e.g. Abitur) in Germany. Applicants with German citizenship are allocated to the group of ‘domestic students’ as well, regardless of the country of their higher education entrance qualification.
- ‘Foreign students’: The group of foreign students (‘Bildungsausländer’) includes all non-German applicants who have obtained their higher education entrance qualification (e.g. USA: High School Diploma, Pakistan: Higher Secondary (School) Certificate, etc.) outside of Germany.
Each group is allocated 50% of the available places.
Applicants are ranked within their group according to the following criteria. The overall grade results from evaluation of both criteria:
- grade achieved in first degree (weighted with 60%)
- written justification for chosen program (weighted with 40%)
In 2021, we received more than 1000 applications for 75 study places available.
Letters of acceptance and rejection will be published in your online application account (STiNE) around mid-May.
In case of admission, you will be asked to deliver hard copies of your degree certificates, transcripts, etc. for the purpose of enrolment to the program by a given deadline. If you miss this deadline, you will lose the study place in our Master's Program.
Further questions? Check our FAQ
Most questions concerning the application process are answered in the FAQ section.
If you cannot find your question there, you may also find the Campus-Center Forum helpful.
Template for the written justification of your choice (PDF, please save the file on your PC before filling the form)
Link to the online application form (the application is possible only during the application period from 15 February to 31 March)
MIBAS will be offered with a new profile: the curriculum has been updated and expanded, with a new program title and academic degree reflecting the change. Pending the approval of the relevant bylaws through the WiSo Faculty Council and the UHH Executive University Board, the following rules for admissions and the course of studies will become effective for applicants and new students for the winter semester 2023/2024.
The Bylaws Regarding the Special Conditions of Admission for Degree Programs in the Faculty of Business, Economics and Social Sciences define the admission requirements for the Master of Arts International Business and Sustainability. Currently, only the previous version is online, an amended version approved for publication is not yet available.
The selection criteria and the selection procedure are defined in the Bylaws Regarding the Selection Procedure and Criteria for the Degree Programs in the Faculty of Business, Economics and Social Sciences. Currently, only the previous version is online, an amended version approved for publication is not yet available.
Information about applications for Master's degree programs (Campus Center)
Contact & Support
For queries regarding questions in the online application form please contact the Campus-Center of Universität Hamburg.
If you have technical problems with the online application form, please contact the STiNE support.
For any other queries regarding your application, the application documents, the selection process, the study program, etc. which are not answered on this website (also check the FAQ section), please contact mibas-application.wiso"AT"uni-hamburg.de.
Universität Hamburg, Fakultät für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften
Studienbüro Sozialökonomie, M.Sc. Innovation, Business and Sustainability (MIBAS)
Von-Melle-Park 9, 20146 Hamburg, Germany