Are you eligible for admission?
Applicants must meet the following requirements to be considered for admission to the M.Sc. Program in Politics, Economics and Philosophy at Universität Hamburg.
Applicants must have completed a first university degree (e.g., Bachelor degree or equivalent of at least 180 ECTS) in one of the following fields of study:
- Political Science
Applicants must demonstrate that at least 60% or its ECTS equivalent (108 ECTS out of 180 ECTS) of their first university degree is in one of the above named fields of study. Applicants with a first degree in PPE (or similar) should consult the FAQs (see Questions Regarding Admissions Requirements).
Applicants with a first university degree in economics must provide evidence of the successful completion of the following courses:
- mathematics, statistics and econometrics with an equivalent of at least 15 ECTS,
- advanced courses in economics with an equivalent of at least 24 ECTS.
Applicants with a first university degree in political science must demonstrate the successful completion of at least 12 ECTS in courses pertaining to the methods of empirical research in social science/political science.
Applicants with a first university degree in philosophy must demonstrate the successful completion of at least 8 ECTS in formal methods (e.g., logic and argumentation theory, decision theory, mathematics).
In the event that at the time of submission of your application you have not received your degree certificate, you will have to submit this by the end of the first semester of your studies in the M.Sc. PEP program.
English Language Proficiency
All applicants must provide proof of proficiency in the English language in the form of one of the following English language tests and minimum scores:
- Revised TOEFL Paper-delivered Test: at least 22 points per skill (Reading, Listening, Writing)
- TOEFL internet-based test: 92 points with at least 22 points per skill (Listening, Writing, Speaking, Reading)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) - Academics: Band 6.5: Good Competent User, with at least 6.0 per skill
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE): Results A, B, C
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE): Results A, B, C
- Cambridge Higher Business English Certificate (BEC): Results A, B, C
For details of the legal basis for the admission requirements, please see the specific regulations governing entrance into your chosen degree program (in German): www.uni-hamburg.de/zugang-master/