How to Apply for the Master’s Program in PEP
We are pleased that you are interested in the master’s program in Politics, Economics und Philosophy at Universität Hamburg. You can apply for any winter semester between 15 February and 31 March.
On this site, you can find the following information:
- Admission requirements
- Online application
- Documents to submit
- Selection criteria
- Admission and enrollment
Please also check the FAQ of MSc Politics, Economics and Philosophy,if any detail question about your applications occurs.
Applicants must meet the following requirements to be considered for admission to the MSc Program in Politics, Economics and Philosophy at Universität Hamburg.
Applicants must have completed a first university degree (e.g., Bachelor degree or equivalent of at least 180 ECTS) in one of the following fields of study:
- Political Science
Applicants must demonstrate that at least 60% or its ECTS equivalent (108 ECTS from 180 ECTS) of their first university degree is in one of the above named fields of study. Applicants with a first degree in PPE (or similar) should consult the FAQs (see Questions Regarding Admissions Requirements).
Applicants with a first university degree in economics must provide evidence for the successful completion of the following courses:
- mathematics, statistics and econometrics with an equivalent of at least 15 ECTS,
- advanced courses in economics with an equivalent of at least 24 ECTS.
Applicants with a first university degree in political science must demonstrate the successful completion of at least 12 ECTS in courses pertaining to the methods of empirical research in social science/political science.
Applicants with a first university degree in philosophy must demonstrate the successful completion of at least 8 ECTS in formal methods (e.g., logic and argumentation theory, decision theory, mathematics).
In the event that at the time of submission of your application you have not received your degree certificate, you will have to submit this by the end of the first semester of your studies in the M.Sc. PEP program.
English Language Proficiency
All applicants must provide proof of proficiency in English language in the form of one of the following English language tests and minimum scores:
- Revised TOEFL Paper-delivered Test: at least 22 points per skill (Reading, Listening, Writing)
- TOEFL internet-based test (test date scores): at least 92 points with at least 22 points per skill (Listening, Writing, Speaking, Reading)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) – Academic: Overall Band Score with at least 6.5 (Good Competent User) with at least 6.0 per skill
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE)
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
- Cambridge Higher Business English Certificate (BEC)
Test results remain valid for two year (counting back from the beginning of the application period on 15 February).
For details of the legal basis for this regulation, please see the admission bylaws for your chosen degree program: https://www.uni-hamburg.de/campuscenter/studienorganisation/ordnungen-satzungen/satzungen-immatrikulation-zulassung.html [German]
You will need to complete the online application available on Universität Hamburg's application portal during the application period.
- Please create a user account,
- chose the application form "Politics, economics and philosophy (WiSe 22/23, admission restricted)",
- enter your information online,
- upload the required documents to your online application and
- submit your application electronically.
The application procedure for the master program is an online procedure. This means that you do not need to submit any documents in paper form or via email to Universität Hamburg. Instead, you have to upload the documents. Selection is based on the information you provide online and the documents you upload.
If you want to submit an additional special application (e.g. hardship application), you will need to send this special application separately via the online application portal together with the required proofs as an upload by the application deadline. For more information on special applications, please see www.uni-hamburg.de/sonderantrag and www.uni-hamburg.de/infomaster.
If you have queries regarding your application, if you have technical problems or if you wish to make changes to the application you have submitted, please get in touch with the relevant point of contact by 28 March at the latest.
Documents to submit
When uploading your documents, please note the following points:
For documents not issued in German or English, a certified copy of the translation is required.
- Degree certificate or provisional Transcript of Records
- Please highlight the courses, which are manadatory for admission (see Admission requirements). If you are still studying when you apply and cannot yet provide a final certificate containing your grades, please submit your current Transcript of Records confirming your provisional grade point average. You will then need to submit your degree certificate by the end of the first semester of your master’s program.
- Please make sure, that the grading scale of your primary degree is available on your degree certificate or the current transcript of records. If the grading scale is not clear on these documents, please submit another proof of the grading scale of your primary degree.
- Proof of English language skills: Applicants who, at the time of their application, are not able to prove their English language skills as listed above, must provide a proof of their registration for the next possible test date (e.g. print-out of the online registration). In this case, the deadline for late-submission of the test results will be postponed until 31 May. For late submission, use this link.
- Letter of motivation (500 words max., in English)
- Two letters of recommendation from a university lecturer in your primary degree program. The lecturer must hold a PhD and must be full-time employed at an institute of higher education. Please note that we do not usually accept references from postdocs/research fellows. If in doubt, please contact application-pep.wiso"AT"uni-hamburg.de. Under the following link we provide a reference form the lecturers may use. There are two possible ways to submit the letters of recommendation. Either students upload the letters of recommendation as part of their application documents or lecturers upload their letters confidentially here.
- Chinese applicants are welcome to provide an APS Certificate as part of their application documents.
If the number of applicants exceeds the number of available places applicants will be selected according to a ranking based on the following criteria:
- Final or current GPA of your first degree: 50%
- Letter of motivation: 20%
- Letters of recommendation: 20%
- Proficiency in the respective two other disciplines of the program (proven through Transcript of Records), i.e. proficiency in economics and/or philosophy, if your first degree is in politics; proficiency in economics and/or politics, if your first degree is in philosophy; proficiency in philosophy and/or politics, if your first degree is in economics: 10%
For details of the legal basis for this regulation, please see the selection bylaws for your chosen master’s program under the following link: www.uni-hamburg.de/auswahl-master/ [German]
Admission and enrollment
Once your application has been reviewed, an acceptance or rejection letter will be made available in your STiNE account under the Dokumente (Documents) tab. Please see the information about the declaration of results and end of acceptance period. An enrollment deadline will be indicated in your acceptance letter - please submit the documents required for enrollment by this date. Detailed information about the enrollment process can be found at the website of the Campus Center.
If you have been admitted, please submit the paper documents required for enrollment to the Application and Admissions Team (Team Bewerbung und Zulassung) by the deadline indicated in your acceptance letter. Please see the certificate information for details.
For queries regarding questions in the online application form please contact the Campus Center of Universität Hamburg.
If you have technical problems (e.g. your username or password, etc.) with the online application form, please contact the STiNE support.
For any other queries regarding your application, the application documents, the upload of your documents, the selection process, the study program, etc., which are not answered on this website (also check the FAQ section), please contact the Team for Applications(application-pep.wiso"AT"uni-hamburg.de).