If you have completed or will complete a degree in mathematics, mathematical economics, statistics or neighboring fields, you must fulfill the following requirements to be admitted:
1. English skills
- proof of at least eight subsequent years of English lessons at a German school, or
- English language tests:
- TOEFL paper- and pencil test: 580 points with a score of 4,5 in the essay (TWE score)
- TOEFL internet-based test: 92 points with at least 22 points per skill (Listening, Writing, Speaking, Reading)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) - Academics:Band 6,5, Good Competent User, with at least 6,0 per skill
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE): Results A, B, C
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE): Results A, B, C
- Cambridge Higher Business English Certificate (BEC): Results A, B, C
Your transcript of records must document the following type of courses:
- Lectures* on Linear Algebra and Analysis
- Lectures* on Statistics OR
- Lectures* on Econometrics
The lectures may be substituted with a GRE General test result of at least 700 points in the quantitative section, or a GRE revised General Test with at least 155 points in the quantitative section, or with a GRE Subject Test Mathematics of at least 700 points.
* A lecture should comprise of at least 2 hours per week over the course of one semester.
Candidates who fulfill the formal requirements for admission will be ranked. The ranking is based on the following criteria:
- GPA/CGPA: 25%
- Grade average of required courses OR results of the GRE General/Mathematics test: 25%
- Letter of motivation and letter of recommendation: 50%
DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED FOR APPLICATION
- Please complete the STiNE online application form provided by the admissions office of the University of Hamburg (https://www.stine.uni-hamburg.de).
- After you have filled in the online application, please go to the following contact form: wiso.uni-hamburg.de/application-econ. It is necessary to complete this contact form and to upload all required documents with it until March 31 2017. Failing this your admission will be cancelled!
The following documents have to be submitted by all applicants without exception:
- STiNE application form, signed
- Proof of English language skills *
- Bachelor degree certificate (if already available) **
- Up-to-date Transcript of records
- GRE General or GRE Mathematics test results (if applicable)
- Letter of motivation (500 words max., in English)
- At least one letter of recommendation from a university lecturer in your primary degree program. The lecturer must hold a PhD and must be full-time employed at an institute of higher education.
Chinese applicants are welcome to provide an APS Certificate as part of their application documents.
The application documents may be submitted either in German or in English. Please mind that only complete applications will be taken into consideration.
* Applicants who, at the time of their application, are not able to prove their English language skills as listed above, must provide a proof of their registration for the next possible test date (e.g. print out of the online registration). In this case, the deadline for late-submission of the test results will be postponed until May, 31.
** If you have not finished your primary degree yet, you must submit an official proof of your current GPA (CGPA) along with your application documents, instead. If your transcript of records or Bachelor degree certificate does not specify a GPA please calculate it by yourself in your original grading system and indicate it in the STiNE application form. During the admissions process your declaration will be verified and transferred into the German grading system if necessary.
Important notes for applicants
- It is absolutely essential to upload your application documents as PDF. If you submit documents in other formats, we may have problems to access them. Please note that the PDF must not exceed the maximum file size of 5 MB.
- Your application documents must bear your signature on the STiNE form and signatures on the letter(s) of recommendation.
- In case of acceptance, you will be asked to provide legally certified copies of your degree and your proof of English language skills. We therefore recommend you to have them ready at the time of your application.
- All documents must be uploaded in the contact form. If your referee prefers to send the recommendation separately, s/he can upload it using the following link: www.wiso.uni-hamburg.de/referenceletter-econ. In this case, please upload a note in the required field. Make sure that the references reach us in time.
- Make sure that your transcript of records includes an appendix with information on your grading scale (otherwise submit them in an additional document).
- Do not upload any additional references, certificates of practical experience, photo, etc.
- You will get an acknowledgement of receipt when you submit the completed contact form.
Visit the program’s website: www.wiso.uni-hamburg.de/msc-econ/
Contact form: www.wiso.uni-hamburg.de/application-econ
Contact form only for referees: www.wiso.uni-hamburg.de/referenceletter-econ
For queries regarding your application and the course of study which are not answered on the website (also check the FAQ), please contact:
For queries regarding the STiNE online application form, please contact:
For queries regarding matriculation (after having received notice of admission), please contact: