This page:UHH > Faculty of Business, Economics and Social Sciences > Department of Social Sciences > Professorships > Global Governance > Team > Dr. Maren Hofius > Publications
Articles in Peer-Reviewed Journals and Edited Volumes
- Hofius, Maren (2020). Towards a ‘Theory of the Gap’: Addressing the Relationship between Practice and Theory. Global Constitutionalism, 9(1), 169-182. (DOI)
- Hofius, Maren (2016). Community at the border or the boundaries of community? The case of EU field diplomats. Review of International Studies, 42(5), 939-967. (DOI) (awarded the 2017 BISA Best Article in Review of International Studies prize (Link).
- Hofius, Maren; Wilkens, Jan; Hansen-Magnusson, Hannes; Gholiagha, Sassan (2014). Lifting the Veil? Critical Norms Research, Freedom and Equality in the Context of the »Arab Spring«. A Response to Engelkamp, Glaab & Renner, Ulbert and Deitelhoff & Zimmermann. Zeitschrift für Internationale Beziehungen, 2, 85-105 [in German] (DOI).
Conferences and Workshops
- International Workshop on "Narrating International Relations: Exploring Narrative as Concept and Method" at the Centre for Globalisation and Governance, University of Hamburg, from 26-27 August 2018. Organised together with the British International Studies Association (BISA) 'Interpretivism in International Relations' Working Group.
- 59th Annual Convention of the International Studies Association, 4-7 April 2018, San Francisco, California, Panel: “Theorising Security Communities in Crisis: The Everyday Unravelling and Defence of the Liberal Western World Order”. Contribution: "B/ordering Community in the Global Context: A Methodology".
- International Symposium on "Norms, Practice, Normativity: Towards a New International Relations Theory (NIRT)", at the Centre for Globalisation and Governance (CGG), University of Hamburg, 16-18 November 2017. Contribution: "Grounding Normativity in Constitutive Rules - A Reply to Vincent Pouliot’s 'Practice and Normativity'".
- Workshop on "Narrating Crisis: Mapping the Contested Terrain of Normative Meaning" at the University of Trento, 13-14 October 2017, jointly organised with Vincent Della Sala and Antje Wiener. Contribution: "European Integration (Theory) in Crisis? Reconstructing ‘Crisis’ as Narrative".
- 47th Annual Conference of UACES, 4-6 September 2017, Krakow, Poland. Contribution: "European Integration (Theory) in Crisis? Reconstructing ‘Crisis’ as Narrative".
- BISA Workshop on “Identity in International Relations: Methods of Interpretation and Critique” at SOAS, University of London, 17-18 June 2017. Contribution: "What Makes the EU Cohere: Strategies for Reconstructing the Constitutive Rules of Community".
- 8th ECPR General Conference, 3-6 September 2014, Glasgow, Scotland. Contribution: "Community at the Border or the Boundaries of Community?".
- UACES 44th Annual Conference, 1-3 September 2014, Cork, Ireland. Contribution: "Community at the Border or the Boundaries of Community?".
- EISA 8th Pan-European Conference on International Relations, 18-21 September 2013, Warsaw, Poland. Contribution: "Constituting the EU’s Community in the Neighbourhood: The Case of EU Diplomacy".
- "Metapher, Modell, Mogelpackung? Normenforschung als Metatheorie", Workshop organised by the Network of Norms Research at the University of Münster, 27-29 June 2012. Contribution jointly with Sassan Gholiagha and Hannes Hansen-Magnusson: „Meaning-in-use: Zum Verhältnis von Normativität und Normalität in der Normenforschung“.
- "Methodology of Norms Research", workshop organised together with Julia Frohneberg and Hannes Hansen-Magnusson within the framework of the Network of Norms Research, October 2011. Keynotes by Antje Wiener and Anna Leander (Copenhagen Business School).
- 6th ECPR General Conference, 24-27 August 2011, Reykjavik, Iceland. Contribution: “Normalising Difference? Practicing Civil-Military Coordination in CSDP”.
- "Normen in den IB zwischen Normalität und Normativität", Workshop organised by the Network of Norms Research at the University of Duisburg-Essen, 29-30 July 2011. Contribution jointly with Sassan Gholiagha and Hannes Hansen-Magnusson: „Meaning-in-use: zur Entspannung des Verhältnisses von Normativität und Normalität in der Normenforschung“.
- CEEISA 2011: “Whither the ‘post-Westphalian’ world? Inequalities, conflicts and solidarity in the twenty-first century”, Kadir Has University, 15-17 June 2011, Istanbul, Turkey. Contribution: "The Social Practice of Community Formation beyond the Westphalian Nation-State".
- "Beyond Norm Adoption: Examining Processes of Norm Localisation"/"Jenseits der Normübernahme: Normlokalisierungsprozesse unter der Lupe", Workshop organised by the Network of Norms Research, September 2010, Frankfurt/Main.
- ECPR Pan-European Conference, June 2010, Porto, Portugal. Contribution: "A Norm's Life Spiral".
- “Unclenching Fists: Dialogue and Diversity in Diplomatic Interaction”, International Interdisciplinary Symposium, June 2010, Hamburg.
- DVPW Nachwuchstagung, May 2010, Arnoldshain. Contribution: "A Norm's Life Spiral".
- “Enlargement - Five Years After: The State of European Integration and New Challenges for the Discipline”, Conference at the Central European University, 2009, Budapest, Hungary. Contribution: "A Norm's Life Spiral: Exploring the Possibility of Normative Convergence in the European Neighbourhood Policy".
- Review of Olaf Asbach's "Europa - Vom Mythos zur Imagined Community?" (2011) on Politik100x100, blog of political science, University of Hamburg (link).
- Guest commentary with Thomas Linsenmaier in the Estonian daily Eesti Päevaleht on the EU's policy during the 'Ukraine crisis', published 27/3/2014. English translation.