Register your residence
One of the most important things you should do after your arrival is registering your residence. In Germany, it is mandatory to register at a new address within 2 weeks after your official move-in date. Most "Kundenzentren" (residents´ registration offices) in Hamburg are quite busy. Plan and make your appointment in advance (i.e. before arrival). When having registered successfully, you will receive a "Meldebestätigung" (certificate of residence) which you will need for opening a bank account or other important steps.
Please note: Due to COVID-19, it its currently not possible to register at a "Kundenzentrum" without an appointment.
You can easily make an appointment online:
- Choose "Einwohnerwesen" (first link in the list).
- Enter your personal details.
- Select "1" at the option "Wohnsitz, Anmeldung als Hauptwohnsitz". Click "Weiter" on the bottom of the page.
- Choose a "Kundenzentrum". You can choose the one that is most convenient for you, e.g. closest to your home. Here you can find a list with their addresses and office hours. The closest one to the university main campus is "Kundenzentrum Eimsbüttel".
- Choose a suitable date and time.
- Confirm your choice.
- You will receive a confirmation e-mail with an appointment number and detailed information on which documents to bring to the appointment.
Please bring the following documents to the appointment:
- Anmeldeformular (registration form, you can find it online or fill it at the Kundenzentrum during your appointment)
- Wohnungsgeberbestätigung (confirmation of lease; ask your landlord for it)
- ID / passport / (electronic) residence permit
- Money to pay the registration fee (12 Euro, you can pay card)