Dr. Ali Aslan Gümüsay
Consultation hours: Thursday 11 am - 12 pm (Please make an appointment via email).
Note: there are NO regular consultation hours during the semester break.
Ali Aslan Gümüsay holds a dual appointment as Head of the Innovation & Entrepreneurship Research Group at the Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society (HIIG) and as Postdoctoral Researcher at the University of Hamburg. He is also the principal investigator of the DFG network “Grand Challenges & New Forms of Organizing”.
Before, Mr. Gümüsay was a DAAD PRIME Fellow and Lecturer at Magdalen College, University of Oxford. He received his DPhil from Saïd Business School, University of Oxford. Prior to this, he worked as a strategy consultant for the Boston Consulting Group. Ali’s research consists of four streams: values, meaning & hybridity in entrepreneurial settings; grand challenges, innovation & new forms of organizing; societal complexity & engaged scholarship; and digitalization, AI & the future of work/leadership.
More about Mr. Gümüsay’s work: www.guemuesay.com
- Diel, K./Gründinger, W./Gümüşay, A.A.: "7 Virtues Reloaded", 1. Auflage, Vergangenheitsverlag Berlin 2013.
Peer reviewed journal paper
- Gümüşay, A.A. 2020. The Plurality and Prevalence of the Religious Institutional Logic. Business & Society, 59:5, 855-880.
- Gümüsay, A. A., Smets, M., & Morris, T. 2020. ‘God at Work’: Engaging central & incompatible institutional logics through elastic hybridity. Academy of Management Journal. 63:1, pp. 124-154.
- Gümüşay, A.A., & Bohné, T.M. 2018. Individual and organizational inhibitors to the development of entrepreneurial competencies in universities. Research Policy. 47:2, pp. 363-378.
- Gümüsay, A. A. “COMMENTARY: Sharing is caring: From material to socio-material sharing”, Academy of Management Discoveries, 2018.
- Gümüsay, A. A. "Unpacking entrepreneurial opportunities – an institutional logics perspective”, Innovation: Organization & Management, Vol. 20, Iss. 3, 2018, pp. 209-222.
- Gümüşay, A.A., Höllerer, M. A. & Meyer, R. E. “Organizational Scent”, M@n@gement, Vol. 21, Iss. 4, pp. 1424-1428, 2018.
- Gümüşay, A.A. "Embracing religions in moral theories of leadership”, Academy of Management Perspectives, 2018.
- Gümüsay, A. A. & Bohné, T. M. “Individual and organizational inhibitors to the development of entrepreneurial competencies in universities”, Research Policy, Vol. 47 Iss. 2, 2018, pp. 363-378.
- Gümüsay, A. A. "The potential for plurality and prevalence of the religious institutional logic”, Business & Society, 2018.
- Gümüsay, A.A. “The Role of Religions in Business", Bible & Liturgy, Vol. 90 Iss. 3, 2017 pp. 214-219.
- Gümüşay, A.A.: "Entrepreneurship from an Islamic Perspective", Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 130 Iss. 1, 2015, pp. 199-208.
- Gümüşay, A.A.: "Knowledge & Boundaries in a Sufi Dhikr Circle", Journal of Management Development, Vol. 31 Iss. 10, 2012, pp. 1077-1089.
- Gümüşay, A.A. 2019. Religions and business in times of societal change, chapter in Mokrosch, R. & El Mallouki, H. (eds), Religions and global change, Kohlhammer.
- Gümüsay, A.A. 2018. Societal challenges and the role of religion in entrepreneurship and leadership, chapter in Kordesch, R. M., Wieland, J., & Ebertz, M. N. (eds), The work of civil society, Velbrück Wissenschaft.
- Gümüşay, A.A. 2018. Book review: The Society of Singularities by Andreas Reckwitz, Organization Studies, 39:10, pp. 1492-1495.
- Gümüşay, A.A. & Liebig, D.: Chapter in: Perspektive Unternehmensberatung, e-fellows.net 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017.
- Gümüşay, A.A.: "Entrepreneurship – an Islamic Perspective", in: Kozali, A./Salami, I./Thabti, S. (eds.): Islamic Economic Law, Peter Lang Verlag 2015.
- Gümüşay, A.A.: "The Zahnräder Network", in: Rohe, M./Engin, H./Khorchide, M./Öszoy, Ö./Schmid, H. (eds): Handbook Christianity and Islam in Germany, Herder 2014, pp. 1236-1245.
- Gümüşay, A.A.: "The Role of Muslim Elites in Germany & Europe" in: Ceylan, R. (ed.): Islam und Diaspora: Analysen zum muslimischen Leben in Deutschland aus historischer, rechtlicher sowie migrations- und religionssoziologischer Perspektive, Peter Lang Verlag 2012.
- Gümüşay, A.A.: Chapter in: Perspektive Unternehmensberatung, e-fellows.net 2008, 2009.
- Gümüşay, A.A., & Amis, J. On Research Teams & Organization Theory.
- Smets, M., Anderson, D., & Gümüşay, A.A., On Multi-Dimensional Ethnography & Grand Challenges.
- Gümüşay, A.A., Meyer, R.E., & Höllerer, M.A., On Institutional Complexity.
- Gümüşay, A.A. On Hybrid Organizing.
- Gümüşay, A.A. On Circularity, Organizational Boundaries & Institutional Entrepreneurship.
- Gümüşay, A.A. On Digitality, Institutions & Legitimacy.
- Gümüşay, A.A. Engaging both religions and paradoxes in leadership, organizing and society.
- Gümüşay, A.A. On Institutional Logics.
- Gümüşay, A.A. Book Review: The Society of Singularities, Organization Studies, 2018.
- Gümüşay, A.A.: "Religion & Leadership – Ancient wisdom for a modern world?", 2016, LEAD Research Study.
- Gümüşay, A.A.: Foreword, in: Ramadani, V./Dana, L.-P./Gërguri-Rashiti, S./Ratten, V. (eds.): "Entrepreneurship and Management in an Islamic Context", 2016, Springer.
- Gümüşay, A.A. & Diel-Gligor, K.: "7 Virtues Reloaded", 2015, Hohe Luft philosophy magazine.