Manaíra Anaité Charlotte Assunção
- Manaíra Assunção studied International Relations and International Development in Brazil and England. She holds a BA (2013) and an MSc (2016) in IB from the Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro.
- During her studies Manaíra Assunção worked at the university-affiliated think tank, BRICS Policy Center. She has been involved in research on international development cooperation, South-South cooperation and the role of BRICS states. She also participated in the conception and implementation of projects, academic events and strategic partnerships.
- In April 2016 Manaíra Assunção joined the Universität Hamburg as Marie Curie Fellow under the Power and Region in a Multipolar Order (PRIMO) project.
- In August 2018, she acted as consultant on the topic of triangular cooperation.
- Manaíra Assunção has been a lecturer at the Universität Hamburg since October 2019.
- since Sep 2011: Research and project management at the BRICS Policy Center (BPC)
Education and Training
- Feb 2014 - Feb 2016: Master in International Relations, International Relations Institute at Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro (IRI/PUC-Rio), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Aug 2013 - Dec 2013: Master classes in International Relations with outstanding student status
- Feb 2010 - Jun 2013: Bachelor in International Relations (PUC's Academic Merit Scholarship 2012.2), International Relations Institute at Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro (IRI/PUC-Rio), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Feb 2009 - Dec 2009: Bachelor in International Relations (transferred studies to Rio de Janeiro), Centro Universitário Jorge Amado (UNIJORGE), Salvador, Brazil
- Apr 2006 - Dec 2007: BA in International Development (transferred studies to Brazil) University of East Anglia (UEA), Norwich, United Kingdom
- Jul 2005: Deutsches Abitur, Sophie-Scholl Europa Oberschule, Berlin, Germany
Articles and Chapters in Edited Volumes
- 2017: The Partnership Puzzle: The Brazilian Health Expert Community in Mozambique. In: Bergamaschi, I; Moore, P; Tickner A.B. (eds). South-South cooperation beyond the myth: Rising Donors, New Aid Practices? Palgrave Macmillan UK, 107-135 (with P. Esteves).
- 2016: Monitoring and Evaluation Mechanisms for South-South and Triangular Cooperation: Lessons from Brazil for the 2030 Agenda. United Nations Development Programme, Bureau for Policy and Programme Support, New York (with A.M. Souza; P. Esteves; K. Adams; M. Pomeroy; L. Paz).
- 2014: "South-South cooperation and the international development battlefield: between the OECD and the UN" (with P. Esteves). Third World Quaterly, V. 35, pp. 1775-1790.
- 2012: A Cooperação para o Desenvolvimento, os BRICS e a Política Externa Brasileira. In Série Relações Brasil-Europa. Economia, Parlamentos, Desenvolvimento e Migrações: as novas Dinâmicas Bilaterais entre Brasil e Europa. Rio de Janeiro: Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung (with P. Esteves; A. Abreu; J.M. Fonseca; A. Niv; F. Urias).
Working Papers, Policy Briefs & Monitors
- 2017: Power, Knowledge, Practices. PRIMO Working Paper No. 15.
- 2017: The Southern expertise: Brazil’s, India’s and China’s South-South cooperation in health. PRIMO Working Paper No. 6.
- 2015: A Agenda do Desenvolvimento, Internacional Pós-2015: Que papel para os BRICS? (with P. Renzio, G.Z. Gomes, A.L. Alves) BPC Policy Brief, V.5 (08), August-September 2015. http://bricspolicycenter.org/homolog/uploads/trabalhos/7031/doc/423631406.pdf
- 2014: Private Investment and International Development: the Brazilian experience (with G.Z. Gomes, P. Esteves). BPC Policy Brief, V. 4 (07), April-May 2014.
- 2014: The BRICS and the Global Partnership for Effective Development Cooperation (GPEDC) (with P. Esteves). BPC Policy Brief, V. 4 (03), March 2014.
- 2013: Solidarity among brothers? Brazil in Africa: trade, investment and cooperation. Rio de Janeiro: Ed. BRICS Policy Center (BPC Policy Brief 4(65) (with P. de Renzio; G.Z. Gomes).
- 2013: China's Engagement in Africa: Responding to growing Tensions and Contradictions. BPC Policy Brief (with P. Renzio, J.M. Fonseca, T. Nickerson). BPC Policy Brief, June 2013.
- 2013: O Banco de Desenvolvimento dos BRICS: Revolução ou Ilusão (with P. Renzio and G.Z. Gomes) BRICS Monitor, May 2013.
- 2013: Cooperação Sul-Sul na Nova Parceria Global para uma Cooperação para o Desenvolvimento Eficaz os BRICS? (with J.M. Fonseca). BRICS Monitor, May 2013.
- 2011: BRICS, cooperation for development and the Busan 4th High Level Forum on Aid Effectiveness (with P. Esteves, F. Maia, A. Abreu, A. Niv). BPC Policy Brief, December 2011.
- 2011: Os BRICS e a Agenda da Saúde Global 2011 (with P. Esteves, F. Maia, A. Niv, J.M. Fonseca). BPC Policy Brief, October 2011.
The doctoral thesis examines South-South cooperation, with a special focus on health policy and knowledge exchanges between partners from the Global South. It offers a comparison between Brazil and India based on the case study Mozambique. In general, the research interests lie in the institutions and global governance of international development cooperation, the changes in these structures caused from 2000 years onwards by the protagonist role of the BRICS and South-South cooperation; the relations between donors and recipient countries and the principles of ownership and partnership; health experts and policies; and North-South/South-South/North-South-South knowledge exchanges.
- global governance in international development cooperation
- global health and the impact of emerging powers/BRICS
- South-South cooperation and health development