Dr. Peter Schubert
Photo: Leila Ivarsson
Chair of Management of Public, Private and Nonprofit Organizations
by appointment per email
- since August 2020: Postdoctoral Researcher at the Chair for Management of Nonprofit Organizations
- 2017-2020: Doctoral studies at Universität Hamburg. Dissertation title: "The Overhead Debate in Nonprofit Finance: Conceptual and Empirical Extensions to the Nonprofit Starvation Cycle"
- June 2019: Research fellowship granted by the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia (USA), Social Impact Doctoral Fellows Program, headed by Peter Frumkin
- 2014-2017: M.A. in Nonprofit Management & Governance at the Center for Social Investment at the University of Heidelberg
- 2015-2016: Study abroad at the Evans School of Public Policy & Governance, University of Washington, Seattle, USA.
- 2014-2016: B.Sc. in Economics at the University of Heidelberg
- 2013-2014: Study abroad at Sciences Po, Paris, France
- 2011-2014: B.A. in Political Science at the University of Heidelberg
Main Areas of Research
- Financial Management of Nonprofit Organizations
- Nonprofit Accountability
- Stakeholder Management
- Cause-Related Marketing
- Schubert, P. & Willems, J. (2020). In the name of the stakeholder: An assessment of representation surpluses and deficits by nonprofit leaders. Nonprofit Management & Leadership, online first. DOI: 10.1002/nml.21445
- Charles, C., Sloan, M. F., & Schubert, P. (2020). If Someone Else Pays for Overhead, Do Donors Still Care? The American Review of Public Administration, 50(4-5), 415-427. DOI: 10.1177/0275074020913989
- Schubert, P. & Boenigk, S. (2019). The Nonprofit Starvation Cycle: Empirical Evidence from a German Context. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 48(3), 467-791. DOI: 10.1177/0899764018824669
- Schubert, P. & Boenigk, S. (2020). Führt der Verwaltungskostendiskurs im Nonprofit-Sektor zu Investitionslücken? In Deutsches Zentralinstitut für soziale Fragen (Ed.): DZI Spenden-Almanach 2020, Berlin. S. 17-26.
- Boenigk, S., & Schubert, P. (2020). Cause-related Marketing. In: List, R., Anheier, H. K., & Toepler, S. (Eds.), International Encyclopedia of Civil Society, 2nd Edition, New York: Springer Nature
Schubert, P. & Boenigk, S. (2019): The Impact of Donor and Board Pressure on Cost Reporting – An Experiment Among Nonprofit Managers, presented at the 48th Conference of the Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action (ARNOVA), November 21-23, 2019, San Diego, Kalifornien (USA).
Charles, C., Sloan, M., Schubert, P. (2018). “The Impact of Overhead Costs on Donations to Human Service Nonprofits”, presented at the 47th Annual Conference of the Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action (ARNOVA), November 15-17, 2018, Austin, Texas (USA).
Schubert, P. & Boenigk, S. (2018). “The Nonprofit Starvation Cycle – Empirical Evidence from a German Context”, presented at the 13th Conference of the International Society for Third Sector Research (ISTR), July 10-13,2018, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
Schubert, P. & Boenigk, S. (2018). ”The Nonprofit Starvation Cycle – Empirical Evidence from a German Context”, presented at the International Doctoral and Post-Doctoral Colloquium Management Science, July 2-4, 2018, Munich, Germany.
Schubert, P. (2017): Cause-related Marketing from a Nonprofit Perspective: Explaining Similarities and Differences in Attitudes towards Collaboration, presented at the 46th Conference of the Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action (ARNOVA), November 16-18, 2017, Grand Rapids, Michigan (USA).
Academic and Scientific Activities
Master Interdisciplinary Public and Nonprofit Studies (University of Hamburg)
- Quantitative Methods
- Social Impact Measurement
- The Nonprofit Sector in Cross-National Comparison
- Trends in the Nonprofit Sector
Bachelor Socioeconomics (University of Hamburg)
- Public and Nonprofit Management
- Theoretical and Practical Aspects of Public & Nonprofit Management
Bachelor Business Administration (Kühne Logistics University)
- Nonprofit Management